7 Blue Mustangs

7 Blue Mustangs
Together We Will Conquer

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

DECOUPAGED SEWING KIT FROM OLD LUGGAGE

THE DECOUPAGED SEWING KIT


What do you do with the old Samsonite luggage that is every bit as indestructible as the commercials they once advertized? Don’t throw it away! Continue using it for the same purpose it was manufactured. Hold your toiletries. Great little storage container! I use mine for a sewing kit. It still has all the side pockets in tact for storing packages of needles, buttons or flat things. The tray for cosmetics or first aid items is slightly cracked but works fine.

The case however, lacked luster. Any artist could think of hundreds of ways to change its exterior. So that is exactly what I did. I made it mine. I love horses (mustangs) and so clipped every picture from books, magazines or news articles about horses. The selections for this collage were a bit comical. I found silly looking horses and drunk looking riders. I few long forgotten hay rides, and other arbitrary pictures. Whola!



Using the old stand by Modge Podge for decoupage, I randomly placed the pictures. Well, there was some intentional direction; up, down, on the sides, depending mostly upon which end was up on the case. I even applied pictures to the bottom. This is an arguable choice, but consider if it fell over, it would bare a resemblance to the once boring case. This could not be allowed. Likewise, if a surface remained bare I took some flashy oil paints (yellow) to give it a sense that it was once all yellow. As you can see it has been personalized for my enjoyment every time I use this reclaimed toiletry case turned sewing kit. It is funky! It’s my art!
I have come to a brain block and am asking for your assistance. How to decorate the handle that currently doesn’t do justice to the artsy sewing kit. Do I just paint it? Yellow? Should I decoupage the handle too? What do you think about replacing the handle? I would need suggestions for a proper replacement. So get busy, put on your rose coloured glasses or what ever you do when you get that creative bug in your head. Send me your ideas, and should I choose your idea I will give you accolades here within. Attached will be a picture of the newly decorated handle and it will then be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something you would like to share about this post? Please do so here. I want to know what you think if my idea was helpful or my stories give you pause to reflect on life today.